As part of the Language and Literacy MEd program from University of South Carolina, you will complete all required courses for the Literacy Teacher and Literacy Coach add-on certifications, and with one additional course, all courses needed for the Literacy Specialist. No other program in the state provides coursework for all three certifications within a single Master’s program.
Through this program, you will learn how to assess individual readers and writers and develop curriculum to meet student needs by working with learners and other educators. You will also engage in a blend of theoretical, field-based, and research-based experiences with a focus on diverse learners and evolving conceptions of literacy in 21st century schools.
What kinds of work will I be able to do?
After you graduate from this program, you will be prepared to be a highly qualified literacy professional and be able to meet the demands of varied leadership positions. You will be prepared to serve as a:
- Reading/literacy teacher: Primarily responsible for planning, teaching, and evaluating instruction for students having difficulty with reading or writing at all levels (pre-K–12);
- Literacy coach: Primarily responsible for improving classroom instruction by supporting teacher learning and facilitating literacy program efforts; and
- Literacy specialist/coordinator: Primarily responsible for developing, leading, and/or evaluating the school or district literacy program.
- Reading Instruction
- Teaching Reading Through A Literature Emphasis
- Multimodal Multi-genre Writing
- Instructional Strategies for Reading
- Reading Assessment
- Seminar in Classroom Reading Assessment
- Developing and Guiding the Reading Program
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Pedagogy Teaching View 559 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Official Transcripts
- Personal Statement
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
International17160 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 572 USD per credit during 12 months.
National17160 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 572 USD per credit during 12 months.
- South Carolina certified teachers: $515 Per Credit Hour
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.