The Art History MA program from The University of Alabama at Birmingham is offered jointly with the University of Alabama, which will allow you take advantage of opportunities and work with faculty at both campuses.
You will be able to specialize in medieval art, early modern art, 18th-century/19th-century art, 20th-century/contemporary art, South Asian art, or East Asian art. We'll guide you in your choice and offer you all sorts of opportunities to work with faculty members on seminars, participate in research projects, find internships, and more.
You’ll also be asked to demonstrate a reading knowledge of a language that is related to your field of study, deepening your understanding of the field. After the first year of the program, you can apply for the UAB/Birmingham Museum of Art Fellowship program, which will give you hands-on curatorial experience.
- Students can receive funding through assistantships or a UAB/Birmingham Museum of Art Curatorial Fellowship.
- Positions such as archivists, curators, and museum workers are growing at a rate of 13 percent, which is faster than average (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).
- The Art of Rome
- Arts of Death in the Middle Ages
- Graduate Research in Italian Renaissance Art
- The Invention of Painting in Renaissance Europe
- Study Abroad: European Art
- Graduate Research in Northern Renaissance Art
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Art History View 454 other Masters in Art History in United States
- For admission in good standing, applicants to UAB must meet Graduate School requirements for scholarship. A Minimum GPA of 3.0 (B) is required for acceptance into the program.
- The applicant should have completed 24 semester hours in art history and related areas such as history, aesthetics, archaeology, and anthropology, although this requirement may be reduced depending on the applicant's background and preparation.
- It is desirable that an applicant be able to read a foreign language related to the proposed field of study. Students may apply for admission for either the fall or spring semester.
International35610 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1187 USD per credit during 12 months.
National33270 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1109 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State14040 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 468 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.