Another major focus area of the Literacy Specialist program of the University at Buffalo is the study of reading difficulties, including classroom and clinical assessment, evaluation, and diagnosis of reading. Through our program, you can obtain dual certifications: B–6 Literacy Specialist and 5–12 Literacy Specialist.
About the Literacy Specialist program
The features of our program include:
- clinic-based practicum in the diagnosis and reading re-mediation of struggling readers in the University at Buffalo Center for Literacy and Reading Instruction and a classroom-based summer practicum at a school in a local district
- knowledge of the theories, methods and materials of reading instruction, language instruction, reading assessment and diagnosis
- study of literacy and technology; adolescent literacy practices; and content area reading instruction, language, literacy and culture
- Literacy Acquisition & Instruction Pre-K/2
- Childhood Literacy Methods
- Middle Childhood/Adolescent Literacy Methods
- Language, Literacy and Culture
- Improving Instruction in Elementary Language Arts
- Classroom Literacy Assessment & Instruction
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSpecial Education Teaching Literacy Education View 175 other Masters in Literacy Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- To be eligible for this program, you must have applied for, or received, initial New York State teacher certification
- You must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution
- Application fee: A $50 non-refundable application fee
- Test scores
- Contact information for two individuals who will each be asked to provide an electronic recommendation letter
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges attended
- Statement of education and career goals
- Official original proof of your degree
- A course-by-course transcript evaluation by a NACES member organization
- A copy of your passport biographical page
- Official test scores for either the TOEFL, the IELTS or PTE
- Financial documentation
- An official bank statement
International46200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23100 USD per semester during 24 months.
National46200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23100 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State22620 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11310 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Buffalo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.