The Communication programme at the University of Illinois at Chicago goal is to produce scholars and researchers who will be critical consumers and producers of research about communication, whether in academic or applied settings, and who will contribute to the growth of knowledge in those settings.
At the master’s level, study and research are available in two general areas, media studies and cultural diversity. Because the areas intertwine, program emphasis is on breadth and integration. Inquiry in media studies ranges, for example, from journalism ethics to electronic media and computer-mediated communication. Cultural inquiry includes language and symbolic representation, critical theory, social inequality and racism, and cross-cultural differences.
At the doctoral level, the program focuses on communication and technology. Students develop thorough understanding of the field, expertise in its theories, skills needed to conduct effective research, and experience teaching in a university setting. They also acquire a specialty from among those recognized in scholarly societies and reflected in current research emphases among department faculty.
A signature feature of department programs is their flexibility. Students pursue individual and professional aims with guidance from an advisor, designing a course of study to reach their own educational goals. Because the department strongly encourages interdisciplinary work, students may study with scholars in allied disciplines.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Operationalizing Communication Research
- Human Augmentics
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- Human-Computer Interaction
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences View 475 other Masters in Communication Sciences in United States
- Applicants are considered on an individual basis. Complete transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted.
- Tests Required GRE General.
- Resume Required, 1–2 pages.
- Letters of Recommendation Three required, each along with a completed Rating Form, at least two from academic recommenders.
- Personal Statement Required, 600 words. The statement should address how graduate study in the department relates to the applicant’s career or other aims.
- Writing Sample Recommended.
International24738 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12369 USD per semester during 24 months.
National24738 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12369 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State11870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5935 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Chicago
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.