Students planning to major in Chemistry for the master’s or doctoral degree will ordinarily have attained a satisfactory record in the traditional areas of chemistry. The department, however, recognizes that modern chemistry transcends traditional disciplinary divisions. Therefore, it encourages students with undergraduate majors in chemical engineering, the biological sciences, physics, mathematics, computer science, or other fields to apply for admission to our program.
Admission to the graduate program at University of Tennessee Knoxville is decided on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration an applicant’s undergraduate record (traditionally including courses in general, analytical, inorganic, organic, and physical chemistry), performance on the general Graduate Record Examination (required), and supporting information such as references from previous faculty and research mentors, co-authorship of research presentations or papers, and awards.
Recommendation for a student’s initial course of study in graduate school is based on the desired specialization, previous training and experience, and performance on departmental diagnostic exams administered following arrival in the department.
Concentrations (Required) and Options Available:
- Analytical Chemistry — Thesis
- Environmental Chemistry — Thesis
- Inorganic Chemistry — Thesis
- Organic Chemistry — Thesis
- Physical Chemistry — Thesis
- Polymer Chemistry — Thesis
More informationVisit official programme website
In-depth Inorganic Chemistry
Registration for Use of Facilities
Chemical Research Skills and Ethical Conduct
Mass Spectrometry and Surface Characterization
Materials Inorganic Chemistry and Catalysis
Experimental Methods of Inorganic Chemistry
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, International
DisciplinesEducation Chemistry Natural Sciences View 433 other Masters in Chemistry in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agency. A non-U.S. degree must be equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from the United States and must be accredited by its regional or national accreditation agency.
- pplicants may be required to submit standardized test scores, depending upon their program requirements.
- Applicants may be required to submit English language certification test scores.
- An applicant requesting admission to the Graduate School may be required to submit results of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 31798 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 31798 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13380 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.