This 36-semester hour program is offered online, nationwide as an advanced degree program for credentialed teachers. The curriculum for the program is based on the International Reading Association standards which also encompass the Florida Department of Education Reading Endorsement and certification requirements.
The M.Ed. in Reading is an innovative, educational program steeped in scientifically-based reading research using the "Lesson Study" approach tying research immediately to practical classroom applications. This entirely online program is designed to enhance the professional skills and knowledge of current educators as well as transitions into specialized areas of reading leadership within the schools and district-level positions; thus, applicants must hold a current teaching certificate. The curriculum for the program is based on the International Reading Association standards which also encompass the FLDOE Reading Endorsement and certification requirements. Upon program completion, candidates are encouraged to add the Reading Endorsement/Certification to their teaching certificate. The program holds FLDOE approval for K-12 Reading Endorsement and Reading Certification.
- Methods of Advanced Language Arts and Writing
- Literature for Children and Young Adults
- Classroom Reading Assessments
- Foundations of Middle and Secondary Literacy
- Foundations of Literacy Development
- Identifying and Preventing Reading Difficulties
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Literature View 3686 other Masters in Education in United States
- Hold professional teaching certification
- Have earned a GPA of at least 3.0 on bachelor's degree
- Submit a current (within five years) official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) verbal score OR Miller Analogies Test (MAT) score
- Submit a letter of intent that includes the following information: your background, short- and long-term goals, contributions you would like to make to your field of study, and strengths you bring to the program
- Submit contact information (email addresses and phone numbers) for two professional references
- Demonstrate proficiency in ESOL via completion of an ESOL survey course or district in-service points
- Demonstrate proficiency of the Additional Elements of the Florida Uniform Core Curriculum (UCC)
International1029 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1029 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National463 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 463 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
In-State369 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 369 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.