Graduate study in applied geological sciences prepares students for work in the multitude of careers including environmental geology/sciences, oil and gas industry, minerals and mining, and state and federal agencies that require a deep and broad foundation in the geological sciences.
The MSAGS has both a thesis and a non-thesis option. The thesis option includes a focus on skills related to the acquisition of new knowledge and is designed for students who wish to pursue higher entry-level positions into jobs or to eventually pursue a Ph.D. degree. The non-thesis option is designed for students who wish to further emphasize applied geological sciences and prefer to substitute additional classroom education and a comprehensive written exam or a professional project and comprehensive oral exam for graduate research experience.
The objectives of the Applied Geological Sciences program at University of Alaska Anchorage are to provide students with graduate-level:
- Technical knowledge within geological sciences.
- Ability to conceive and conduct geological sciences research and problem solving.
- Ability to effectively communicate geological sciences concepts and applications to a broad audience.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology
- Mineral Resources
- Petroleum Geology
- Depositional Systems and Dynamic Stratigraphy
- Applied Sedimentary Petrology and Diagenesis
- Advanced Hydrogeology
- Structural Geology and Geomechanics
- Glacial and Quaternary Geology
- Geology of Alaska
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeology View 238 other Masters in Geology in United States
- A completed UAA graduate application.
- Official transcripts of all college-level work.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) results, taken within two years prior to the application date.
- Three letters of recommendation from professors or other professionals particularly qualified to attest to the applicant’s qualifications for graduate-level research and study.
- A resume or curriculum vitae.
- A one-page personal statement discussing the applicant’s credentials and readiness for graduate studies.
International32370 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1079 USD per credit during 12 months.
National32370 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1079 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State15390 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 513 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Anchorage
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.