The Special Education program at Western Illinois University integrates the needs of Illinois and Iowa certification requirements in order to serve teachers from both sides of the river in the Quad Cities. Degree candidates must complete an action research project that demonstrates their ability to impact their classroom or their school.
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction provides comprehensive graduate programs for candidates desiring professional careers in special education. Candidates completing this master’s degree usually assume positions as classroom, consultant, or inclusion teachers of children and adolescents with varying disabilities in schools, clinics, and residential facilities.
Why Choose Special Education at WIU?
The Special Education program makes every attempt to accommodate licensed teachers in both Iowa and Illinois who wish to re-focus their teaching goals and earn certification in special education. In addition, the department provides advanced study for those who already possess special education certification and experience. The program provides candidates opportunities to learn how to design and implement action research in their own classes.
Through this structured experience, candidates develop the skills needed to effectively use evidence-based practices in their own classrooms and ultimately enhance student learning. Courses are offered in a variety of formats, including weekends, evenings, and online. Western Illinois University is an NCATE institution and regionally accredited.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Diagnostic Assessment for Individuals with Exceptionalities
- Self-Determination and Independence
- Differentiated Behavior Intervention
- Graduate Field Work in Special Education
- Special Education Law and Supervision
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , International
- National students - rolling admission
DisciplinesSpecial Education View 653 other Masters in Special Education in United States
- Applicants for admission to the School of Graduate Studies must hold a bachelor's degree from an institution that is accredited by the appropriate U.S. Department of Education regional institutional accrediting agency.
- Applicants usually apply for admission to a degree program simultaneously with admission to the School of Graduate Studies.
- If the applicant meets the minimum admission requirements of the School of Graduate Studies, a copy of the application materials is forwarded to the program of interest for consideration.
International13830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13830 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National13830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13830 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.