Candidates may complete an emphasis that leads to the Reading Specialist endorsement or an emphasis that leads to the Reading Teacher endorsement. Either emphasis can be completed by teachers who are only interested in earning a master’s degree in reading and do not plan to seek an endorsement.
Reading candidates complete one or more supervised practicum experiences arranged by university faculty. The practicum experience takes place in an after school program, enabling candidates to continue their employment with their school district. In addition to one or more practicum courses, candidates complete projects with students in many of the courses in the program. Opportunities for providing leadership to improve reading instruction are included in each emphasis of the program.
Candidates earning the degree are eligible to apply for the reading specialist endorsement in Iowa or Illinois or the reading teacher endorsement in Illinois. Teachers with a master’s degree in reading are also hired as literacy coaches.
Why Choose Reading at Western Illinois University?
Teachers can complete coursework leading to the Reading Specialist endorsement in Illinois or Iowa or the Reading Teacher endorsement in Illinois. The program prepares candidates to work with struggling readers in individual, small group, or whole class settings. Candidates seeking the reading specialist endorsement complete coursework and practica focusing on K-12 learners.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Methods of Research
- Literature and the Reader
- Integrating Literacy Instruction in the Elementary Curriculum
- Psychology of Reading
- Leadership in Reading
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , International
- National students - rolling admission
DisciplinesEducation Special Education Teaching View 3538 other Masters in Education in United States
- Applicants for admission to the School of Graduate Studies must hold a bachelor's degree from an institution that is accredited by the appropriate U.S. Department of Education regional institutional accrediting agency.
- Applicants usually apply for admission to a degree program simultaneously with admission to the School of Graduate Studies.
- If the applicant meets the minimum admission requirements of the School of Graduate Studies, a copy of the application materials is forwarded to the program of interest for consideration.
International13830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13830 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National13830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13830 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.