- Budget analyst
- Campaign consultant
- City manager
- City planner
- Community college instructor
- Elected official
- Federal executive
- Foreign service officer
- International aid worker
- Legislative or Congressional staffer
- Policy analyst
Why Choose Political Science at WIU?
The graduate program in Political Science at Western Illinois University provides educational and career opportunities in at least four broad fields: (1) government employment, (2) legal training, (3) teaching, and (4) international relations.
- Government Employment – Roughly one-sixth of the labor force in the United States works for the government, either at the local, state, or federal levels. The Political Science graduate program can prepare students for many governmental positions, including administrative officer, budget analyst, city manager, city planner, environmental management specialist, and criminal investigator. In addition, the MA degree in Political Science provides preparation for persons seeking positions with interest groups that represent diverse issues before the government.
- Careers in Law – A degree in Political Science is a typical career path component in preparation for law school. Many Political Science undergraduate and graduate students attend law school upon completion of their degrees. Indeed, as a curriculum, students in law schools have long ranked Political Science as the number one most popular major.
- Careers in Teaching – Political science is an integral part of the curriculum of high schools, colleges, and universities. Moreover, in most states, courses in American government and civics are mandated in all public and private schools within their respective jurisdictions. It is not surprising that many of our graduates are teaching at the secondary level, while others, after completing graduate degrees, teach in colleges and universities.
- Careers in International Relations – For students interested in careers in international and comparative politics and business, opportunities are expanding as countries become increasingly interdependent. Our graduates have been successful in securing positions with the U.S. State Department, the Department of Defense, international organizations, and multinational corporations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Seminar in Organization Theory and Behavior
- Public Administration
- Seminar in American Politics
- Seminar in American Political Thought
- Scope and Methods of Political Science
- Comparative Government and Politics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , International
- National students - rolling admission
DisciplinesPolitical Science View 242 other Masters in Political Science in United States
- Applicants for admission to the School of Graduate Studies must hold a bachelor's degree from an institution that is accredited by the appropriate U.S. Department of Education regional institutional accrediting agency.
- Applicants usually apply for admission to a degree program simultaneously with admission to the School of Graduate Studies.
- If the applicant meets the minimum admission requirements of the School of Graduate Studies, a copy of the application materials is forwarded to the program of interest for consideration.
International13830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13830 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National13830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13830 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.