The MS Mathematics program provides students with solid graduate-level training in the fundamental methods of continuous and discrete mathematics. Both the theoretical framework and the applications of these methods are covered in the core courses.
The program also allows students to choose a focus area. The focus is composed of four courses in a single field and helps students gain expertise with key concepts of a field within mathematics, or in a discipline related to mathematics. Diverse options are available for the choice of a focus area, and include: statistics, numerical analysis, the teaching of mathematics, PhD preparation, biology, business, chemistry, computer science, economics, or physics.The program consists of two steps: (1) six courses that lead to a Certificate in Applied Mathematics, and (2) six additional courses that lead to a Master of Science degree in Mathematics.
Why Choose Mathematics at Western Illinois University?
According to the Wall Street Journal, a recently conducted study ranked mathematicians, actuaries and statisticians among the best occupations in the U.S. Various concepts of mathematics are useful to an increasing number of disciplines in which quantification and logical order are essential.
The occupational fields open to students who have completed an MS program with a proper selection of focus area include: mathematical analysis in industry or government, teaching, computer-related employment, data analysis and other statistical work, and mathematical aspects of business and finance. The Department provides an option for Teacher Certification (certification as secondary teachers). Requirements are sufficiently flexible to allow for individual interests and specialization based upon career goals.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Methods of Classical Analysis
- Scientific Computing
- Applied Statistical Methods
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMathematics Actuarial Science View 583 other Masters in Mathematics in United States
- Applicants for admission to the School of Graduate Studies must hold a bachelor's degree from an institution that is accredited by the appropriate U.S. Department of Education regional institutional accrediting agency.
- Applicants usually apply for admission to a degree program simultaneously with admission to the School of Graduate Studies.
- If the applicant meets the minimum admission requirements of the School of Graduate Studies, a copy of the application materials is forwarded to the program of interest for consideration.
International13830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13830 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National13830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13830 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.