The Department of English and Journalism at Western Illinois University offers graduate-level study in all areas of English studies. Our graduates pursue information-intensive careers in business and education, including those demanding intensive writing, editing, and sophisticated literacies; secondary or community college teaching in composition or literature. Many also complete further graduate study in the humanities.
Why Choose English at WIU?
We offer individualized programs that encourage students to choose courses and projects tailored to their interests and career goals. While some students focus on literary studies, others work with literature and emerging new media, film, popular culture, professional editing, composition and writing studies. All students take one required introductory course, and consult with faculty to choose elective courses, consider independent work such as internships, and select an exit option.
Exit options offer a choice between the thesis or directed readings and an exam. Both help develop scholarly and professional skills, allowing students to cultivate expertise in one or more areas of English Studies.Many students earn credits with internships in teaching, professional writing, library science and other fields, gaining hands-on experience and making valuable professional connections.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Topics in Literature
- Major Authors
- Teaching Literature in Secondary Schools
- Language Diversity and Grammar for Teachers
- Marjorie C. B. Allison, Ph.D., University of Minnesota-Minneapolis
- David Banash, Ph.D., University of Iowa
- Merrill Cole, Ph.D., University of Washington
- Roberta Di Carmine, Ph.D., University of Oregon
- William Knox, Ph.D., University of Michigan
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , International
- National students - rolling admission
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 719 other Masters in Languages in United States
- Applicants for admission to the School of Graduate Studies must hold a bachelor's degree from an institution that is accredited by the appropriate U.S. Department of Education regional institutional accrediting agency.
- Applicants usually apply for admission to a degree program simultaneously with admission to the School of Graduate Studies.
- If the applicant meets the minimum admission requirements of the School of Graduate Studies, a copy of the application materials is forwarded to the program of interest for consideration.
International13830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13830 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National13830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13830 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.