The program consists of three concentrations:
- The CyberGIS concentration focuses on the challenges of managing, filtering, analyzing and visualizing large volumes of spatiotemporal data from mobile devices, web-based services and supercomputers. This knowledge prepares graduates to work in government and industry and provide the expertise to enable scientists, businesses and policymakers to gain new insights from large spatial datasets.
- The Environmental Geographic Information Science concentration focuses on the use of geographic information science to understand environmental changes and hazards. Practitioners in the fields of emergency management, public safety and homeland security rely on geospatial technologies and mapping for planning, response, mitigation and recovery activities.
- The Geographic Information Science and Health concentration focuses on the use of geographic information science and allied geospatial technologies that have become widespread in the study of health and in management of healthcare resources. Geographic information science skills are needed through all levels of health-related agencies in government, and are becoming standard across private industry and non-profits in this area.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this Geographic Information Science program from the Kent State University will be able to:
- Collect, edit, integrate, manage and analyze geospatial data.
- Demonstrate skills and working knowledge of commercial and open source GIS application suites and utilities.
- Identify, explain and analyze spatial patterns, relationships and processes.
- Apply cartographic principles and techniques to create quality maps.
- Apply critical and spatial thinking to solve geospatial problems with respect to theories, principles and practices of geographic information science and fields in the degree concentration areas.
- Demonstrate good communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Fundamentals Of Geographic Information Science
- Cartographic Design
- Practicum In Geographic Information Science
- Algorithms And Programming
- Data Science
- Medical Geography
- Geographic Information Science And Health
- Geographic Information Science:applications For Social
- Spatial Programming
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Deadline- At least one month before the start of the semester of first coursework.
DisciplinesGeographical Information Systems (GIS) View 89 other Masters in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in United States
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in geography or a related field1 for unconditional admission
- Minimum 3.000 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale for unconditional admission
- Official transcript(s)
- Goal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
International21952 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21952 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National21952 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21952 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State11766 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11766 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.