While the degree is in literacy, the focus of the Literacy program of Alfred University is preparing teachers to infuse literacy strategies into instructional activities at any grade level or in any content area. The Alfred University Literacy program is an excellent opportunity for teachers in the Corning area who are employed in full-time positions and need to complete courses for the professional certificate.
The program consists of a 30 credit, 9 course sequence that may be completed in one calendar year and is ideal for full time teachers. To accommodate normal work schedules, most classes meet for full day sessions on Saturdays, with each course meeting 5 times. Students enter with a cohort and move through the program together on the same schedule.
The program emphasizes the practical application of current reading approaches, strategies, materials, methodologies, goal assessment, techniques, evaluation, and professional responsibilities of a literacy specialist. The MSEd in Literacy leads to initial certification in birth through grade 6 literacy and meets the requirements for professional certification in a student’s initial certification area.
- Competency in the Teaching of Literacy
- Diagnostic and Remedial Techniques in Literacy
- Literacy in the Content Area
- Literature for Children
- Learning Disabilities
- Teaching Students with Disabilities in the Inclusive Classroom
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Teaching View 2013 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Current New York State classroom teaching certification
- Graduate application
- Personal statement
- $60 application fee
- Undergraduate college transcript for every institution attended and degree level
- Graduate college transcripts for every institution attended
- 2 Letters of recommendation – applicants can submit traditional letters, have the recommender fill out a reference report found on the Alfred University website, or can submit both
- Program interview
- GRE exam
International18000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18000 USD per year during 12 months.
National18000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18000 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Hornell
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.