The French Studies M.A. degree from New York University requires the successful completion of eight courses, including at least seven of them at the IFS, and a comprehensive M.A. exam. A normal full-time course load is three courses per semester. Full-time students can complete the degree in one calendar year by taking the IFS summer courses offered at NYU in Paris, and sitting for the M.A.
Comprehensive Examination in Paris. The summer term typically runs from early June through mid- July. Those who do not participate in the summer program complete their M.A. requirements in three semesters of study at NYU. Part-time students normally take two years to meet the course requirements.
The course work is done in small seminars taught by leading scholars from the U.S. and the French-speaking world. NYU’s faculty includes experts on France and Europe, Africa and the Maghreb, the Caribbean, the Middle East, and South-East Asia. Each year, we also welcome four visiting professors from France. Half of the course offering is in French, and students perfect their oral and written command of the language and put it to analytical use. Our French Language Lab provides linguistic support as needed.
More informationVisit official programme website
History: Current and recent courses include Nineteenth-Century France, Twentieth-Century France, France and the Maghreb, France and Africa, Colonial and Postcolonial French Antilles, and topics in French History: Journalism.
- Society: Current and recent courses include Education in France, Immigration in France, the Urban Question in France, and Race, Class and Gender in French Society.
- Politics and the Economy: Current and recent courses include The Fifth Republic, The Extreme Right in France, France and Globalization, and Topics in the French Economy: Work and Its Market.
- Culture in Society: Current and recent courses include the Invention of the Belle Epoque, the Sociolinguistics of French, Cinema and History, and Press, Society, and Literature Since the 19th Century.
- Students may also choose one course (occasionally two) toward the M.A. from another NYU department.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 714 other Masters in Languages in United States
- Standardized Test Information – GMAT or GRE (and TOEFL if required);
- Transcripts & Degrees;
- Professional Information;
- EQ endorsements must be submitted online;
- International Student Supplement.
International22272 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11136 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National22272 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11136 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.