In the Childhood Special Education, Grades 1-6, Professional Certification from New York University, students will complete one semester of classroom observation and two semesters of student teaching in special education settings. Through student teaching, you will be encouraged to reflect on, question, and refine your knowledge and skills as you work with children at different age levels and with diverse needs and abilities.
The Integrated Seminar in Childhood Special Education links theory and practice. In this collaborative seminar, you will have the opportunity to share, analyze, and extend your professional experiences, including your collaborations with other professionals and parents.
Through general and specialized pedagogical courses, you’ll learn:
- Strategies to adapt curricula, learning environments, and assessments to address the different intellectual, emotional, and behavioral needs of students
- Approaches for working with children with emotional/behavioral disabilities, including educating children with severe/multiple disabilities
This program is open to participants who have a bachelor's degree and who hold certification or are eligible for certification in childhood education. Upon completion, you are eligible for New York State professional teaching certification in special education at the childhood level, or grades 1–6, as well as prepared for careers including:
- Teacher in general, inclusive, and special education settings in public and private elementary schools
- Special education teacher in hospitals, day-treatment centers, and other clinical settings, and in group homes and agencies such as the Young Adult Institute
- Charter school administrator or developer in specialized education services
More informationVisit official programme website
- Foundations of Curriculum for Diverse Learners
- Individuals with Disabilities in Schools and Communities
- Education of Students with Severe and Multiple Disabilities
- Strategies for Students with Emotional and Behavioral Disabilities
- Assessment and Instructional Design for Students with Mild to Moderate Disabilities
- Education of Children with Special Needs in Childhood Settings
- Student Teaching in Childhood Special Education
- Literacy of the Special Learner
- Literacy Assessment
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSpecial Education View 653 other Masters in Special Education in United States
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- GRE or MAT
- Proficiency in English
- Teacher Certification - You are required to scan and upload evidence of your teacher certification, credential, or license as part of your application. If you are currently in school and expect to receive your teacher's certification after you graduate, you will use this section on the application to upload a note indicating this.
International21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.