You will work closely with nationally recognized faculty members to learn:
- How to link language development and literacy acquisition to English teaching and curricula
- Approaches for teaching English to secondary and high school students
- Strategies for adapting English instruction to meet the special needs of students
As a student in this Teaching English, Grades 7–12, Professional Certification MA program from New York University, you will study language and literacy acquisition in the context of the English curriculum.
You'll complete content courses linked to English pedagogy, gaining knowledge you can apply in the classroom. Courses that offer practical theories and teaching strategies include Literature and the Adolescent Experience, Language Development and Reading Literature, and Pluralistic Approaches to Cultural Literacy.
With the skills you gain in this program, you’ll be prepared for New York State professional certification, as well as roles as an English teacher, teacher trainer, or curriculum specialist in middle and high schools, educational agencies, and community colleges.
- English Education
- Pedagogical Content Knowledge Course
- Curriculum and Research in the English Language Arts
- Language and Literacy Acquisition and Development
- Teaching Reading in the English Classroom
- Teaching Expository Writing
- Literature and the Adolescent Experience
- Linguistics, Society, and the Teacher
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching Teaching English View 1851 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- GRE or MAT
- Proficiency in English
- Teacher Certification
International60600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2020 USD per credit during 12 months.
National60600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2020 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.