In the Teaching English and Teaching Students with Disabilities, Grades 7–12, Initial Certification from New York University, students will learn pedagogical theories and methods that address the needs of students with disabilities and other learning challenges; build a strong foundation in English, literacy, and language arts; and acquire valuable classroom experience.
Careers and Outcomes
Across the country, schools are experiencing a consistent shortage of special education teachers – particularly those with content-area expertise needed from high school teachers.
You’ll graduate from this program eligible for dual New York State certification in English and Special Education for grades 7–12, with an option to pursue a certificate extension to also teach grades 5–6. You’ll be sought after by employers for your ability to teach students of all backgrounds, with and without learning challenges like autism, dyslexia, and attention difficulties.
- Inquiries into Teaching and Learning
- Drug and Alcohol Education/Child Abuse Identification and School Violence Prevention
- Adolescent Learners in Urban Contexts
- Integrating Education Technology in Teaching and Learning
- Educating Students with Disabilities in Middle Childhood and Adolescent Settings
- Psychological and Educational Assessments in Special Education
- Education of Students with Severe and Multiple Disabilities
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesTeaching View 1090 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- An English major or 30 semester hours in English that includes:
- 12 semester hours of literature
- 3-6 semester hours in language
- 3-6 semester hours in writing
- 3 semester hours of a language other than English (American Sign Language is acceptable)
- 6 semester hours of mathematics (includes statistics)
- 6 semester hours of natural or physical sciences
- 6 semester hours of social science/studies
International21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.