Our MA program in Costume Studies at New York University focuses on fashion as a significant and vital cultural product. With a core of courses on the history of fashion and textiles, the curriculum emphasizes research and analysis of the fascinating phenomenon of dress. Not limited to the study of garments, Costume Studies extends the term “fashion” to all aspects of appearance as students are encouraged to consider recent developments in the light of what they learn about the past.
Your experience and individual research will be enhanced by access to NYU’s specialist faculty, world-class research facilities and the rich offerings of New York’s museums, galleries, auction houses, and other institutions.
There are many options available for those who graduate with an MA in this rapidly expanding field, such as:
- Curators, collection managers, and exhibition consultants
- Museum administrators
- Collection managers and exhibition consultants
- Auction house specialists
- Private dealers and appraisers
- Archivists and historical researchers
- Educators, writers, journalists, critics
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Literature & Methodology of Costume Studies
- History of Costume: Prehistory to 1800
- History of Textiles: The Material of Fashion
- History of Fashion Photography
- History of Costume: The 19th Century
- History of Textiles: The Modern Era
- Dress in World Cultures
- Costume Conservation and Display
- History of Costume: Contemporary Dress
- Contemporary Design Culture
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Fashion Design View 349 other Masters in Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- Proficiency in English
- Personal Interview - A personal interview is required for qualifying students living in or close to New York City. For qualifying students living outside the metropolitan area, a telephone interview is required. The program office will notify you if you are a qualifying student and an interview is required.
International21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.