The MA in Art, Education and Community Practice Degree from New York University balances theory and practice through classroom projects enacted in public spaces and in partnership with local organizations.
In courses such as Art and Ideas: What is Social Practice Art? and Critical Pedagogy, Artists, and the Public Sphere, you will explore the history and political context of socially engaged art and popular education, as well as creative strategies for activism and organizing.
Throughout the program, you will work with community organizations in an effort to enact social transformation. Your capstone project will provide an opportunity to design, implement, and document an artistic intervention in diverse sites around the city including schools, community organizations, museums, and the streets.
Careers and Outcomes
Our graduates go on to work as artist-educators and administrators in museums, community-based organizations, cultural institutions, and not-for-profit organizations as well as K–12 schools and colleges. Students have also gone on to get advanced degrees – PhDs or EdDs in universities in the US and overseas. Some enter the program working for organizations, and our degree allows them to move up to a higher professional position in the organization, such as moving from being an educator to managing the program.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Critical Pedagogy, Artists and the Public Sphere (Educational Theory module)
- Art and Ideas: What is Social Practice Art? (Contemporary Artistic Practice module)
- Art as a Practice of Freedom (Social Activism module)
- Artistic Activism as Radical Research (Capstone experience, part 1)
- Urban Development and The Visual Arts
- Language as Action
- Anatomy of Difference
- Female Cultural Rebel in Modern Times
- Feminist Practices in the Americas
- Special Topics: Case Studies on Curatorial Activism
- Art and/as Research: Ways of Knowing
- Creative Response: Performance Matters, Between Imagination and Experience
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Art History View 208 other Masters in Art History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- Proficiency in English
- Portfolio - Your portfolio should consist of digital images of your recent work in .jpg, .png, or .gif format, and no larger than 1280 x 1024 pixels (maximum 5MB). .pdfs no larger than 10MB may be uploaded as well. Each image should have a title, description, size, and medium entered at the time you upload it.
- Artist Statement: Optional. Upload the Artist Statement to the Portfolio section of the online application.
- Personal Interview
International21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National21540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10770 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.