The MFA program in Film and Media Production at UT embodies the fiercely independent spirit for which Austin’s filmmaking community is renowned. The select group of students from all over the world who join our program share a passion for great stories, a willingness to work hard, and a commitment to taking creative risks. At UT Austin, we mentor these talented artists, spurring them to strengthen their craft, develop their unique voices, and master the art of cinematic storytelling.
In broad terms, the curriculum is structured as follows:
- Year 1: Develop creative, conceptual and expressive skills using a range of media production exercises and experiences.
- Year 2: Develop and refine technical skills and strengthen aesthetic, theoretical and conceptual abilities through the completion of the qualifying pre-thesis project; take additional non-production courses.
- Year 3: Produce the thesis project; acquire additional expertise in theoretical domains.
The M.F.A. Handbook describes the program, curriculum requirements and course offerings in detail.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Directing Documentary
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 162 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United States
- An official score for the Graduate Record Examinations General Test (GRE), unless otherwise specified by the graduate program to which the student is applying. International students whose native language is not English must also submit scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Adequate subject preparation for the proposed major. Evidence of adequate preparation varies by program, but examples include letters of reference, auditions, samples of work, and personal statements
- A grade point average of at least 3.00 in upper-division (junior- and senior-level) coursework and in any graduate work already completed.
International18816 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9408 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National18816 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9408 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State9996 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4998 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.