Coursework culminating in a comprehensive final project offers students strong preparation in mathematics, statistics and computing at the heart of the big data revolution. In addition, students will have access to workshops and courses that help develop valuable professional skills, including communication, collaboration, presentation, organizational and networking skills. As a part of the Applied Mathematics program of the University of Colorado at Boulder, students engage in a hands-on, experiential education, with opportunities for networking with campus faculty and off-campus professionals.
Our internationally recognized faculty have both academic and industrial experience. Many are fellows of professional societies, including the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, the American Mathematical Society, the American Statistical Association and the American Physical Society.
Statistics and Data Science Specialization
Students in the program will have the option to specialize in Statistics and Data Science or customize their own educational plan. The Statistics and Data Science specialization enables students to develop the foundational tools needed to analyze and interpret data, including complex and high dimensional datasets. In addition, students will have the opportunity to participate in the department’s Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis (LISA). Here, students will gain valuable collaboration skills and foster relationships with faculty and industry professionals.
Students not wishing to specialize in statistics and data science can forge their own path with a customized educational track that capitalizes on the Applied Mathematics Department's numerous strengths, including computational mathematics, dynamical systems, nonlinear sciences, physical applied mathematics, statistics and applied probability.
- Provide students with foundational knowledge in areas of applied mathematics, statistics or data analysis beyond the standard undergraduate curriculum.
- Statistics and Data Science Specialization: Provide students with foundational knowledge in (1) probability and statistical theory and (2) statistical modeling and data science.
- Provide students with the skills to write efficient, reproducible code in at least one programming language (e.g., R, Matlab, Python).
- Provide students with the skills to interpret code and output from at least one programming language.
- Provide students with a set of industry-sought professional skills, including data analysis, communication, collaboration, presentation, organizational, and networking skills.
- Teach students to utilize their foundational knowledge in applied mathematics, statistics, or data analysis, and their professional skills, to solve real-world science, engineering, social science, or data analysis problems.
- Make available a number of opportunities for students to gain hands-on, real-world experience. Such opportunities include internships, fellowships, and professional collaborations through LISA.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Operations Research
- Methods in Applied Mathematics: Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems
- Methods in Applied Mathematics: Complex Variables and Applications
- Computational Neuroscience
- Modeling in Applied Mathematics
- Modeling in Mathematical Biology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics View 594 other Masters in Mathematics in United States
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, or have done work equivalent to that required for such a degree.
- Show promise of ability to pursue advanced study and research, as judged by the student’s scholastic record.
- Have adequate preparation to enter graduate study in the chosen field. Have at least a 2.75 (2.00=C) undergraduate grade point average.
- Personal Statement
- For review and decision purposes you are required to upload an unofficial copy of your transcript(s) in the application
- GRE Test Scores
- Official Test Scores on TOEFL or IELTS
- Letters of Recommendation
- Nonrefundable $80 Application Fee
International28706 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 28706 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National28706 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 28706 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State22948 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22948 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.