Through a solid theoretical foundation in rhetoric and discourse paired with practical training, the master’s in Writing, Rhetoric and Discourse (WRD) from DePaul University both makes you a better writer and teaches you exciting new ways to think about the history, craft and politics of writing. With the option to concentrate in Professional & Digital Writing or Teaching Writing & Language, you’ll develop lifelong skills that are invaluable to a range of careers. Read about WRD courses, events and alumni on our blog.
With an MA in WRD, you can pursue professional roles such as:
- Writing for businesses, nonprofits and tech companies
- Producing and managing digital content
- Working in an instructional design role at a university or other educational setting
- Teaching writing in a post-secondary institution
- Continuing the study of writing in a PhD program
- Advancing your career as a high school English teacher
Enhance your degree with graduate certificates in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL), Teaching English in Two-Year Colleges, and Digital Humanities.
Courses are offered on weekday evenings at the Lincoln Park Campus. The program can be completed in two years.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Ancient rhetorics
- Contemporary rhetorics
- Multicultural rhetorics
- Global englishes
- Discourse and style
- Genre theory and practice
- Topics in rhetorical history
- Topics in community, culture and identity
- Topics in language
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. The deadline to be considered for a graduate assistantship is February 15.
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 271 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
- A graduate application
- Official transcript(s) from all previous schools attended
- Statement of Purpose (approximately 500 words): In your Statement of Purpose, specifically discuss the academic and professional experiences that helped shape your decision to pursue graduate work in Writing, Rhetoric, and Discourse (WRD). Explain your educational and career objectives and how these relate to the MA in WRD program.
- Current resume or CV
- 15 to 20 pages of your own written work.
- Two letters of recommendation, which speak to your academic and professional abilities.
International715 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 715 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National715 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 715 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
In-State715 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 715 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.