In the Special Education master’s program from DePaul University, you’ll also learn to manage teams, mentor colleagues, coach paraprofessionals and work closely with parents. Your knowledge will fill a nationwide need. According to the National Education Association, 98 percent of U.S. school districts report a need for qualified special educators.
You’ll select one of three concentrations within this program:
- Pre-Service Special Education
- Special and Elementary Education
- Special Education for Teachers
You have the option to pursue an initial Illinois Teaching License (PEL) with a Special Education (LBS1 preK-21) endorsement or with combined Special Education (LBS1 preK-21) and Elementary Education (grades 1-6) endorsements. If you are already licensed a teacher, you can add a Special Education (LBS1 preK-21) endorsement to your PEL.
Classes are offered on DePaul’s Lincoln Park Campus, and this program can be completed in two to three years.
- Instruction and differentiation in special education
- Classroom and behavior management in special education
- Teaching literacy to exceptional learners
- Teaching students with significant disabilities
- Teaching mathematics to exceptional learners
- Formal assessment in special education
- Survey of exceptional learners: psychology and education
- Seminar and research in special education
- Fundamentals of english language learner education
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSpecial Education View 685 other Masters in Special Education in United States
- Graduate admission application
- $40 application fee
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
- Two letters of recommendation from professors or work supervisors
- Personal statement that discusses your future goals and your thoughts about your career as a special educator.
- Initial license program requires a writing sample(e.g., a term paper, seminar paper, or senior thesis or portion thereof)
International655 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 655 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National655 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 655 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
In-State655 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 655 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.