You may choose to pursue a thesis or capstone project, or expand your learning by exploring a variety of electives.
SET benefits from a close relationship with our local high-tech industry partners. Students of the Computer Science and Systems degree from University of Washington gain real-world perspective through their classroom experiences. Graduates are working as software development engineers, program managers, cybersecurity experts, data scientists, and systems developers at industry leaders around the globe, driving growth, innovation and change.
University of Washington Tacoma Catalog of all degree programs can be found by clicking here. The Institute of Technology degree programs have been indexed for easier navigation.
Objectives and Outcomes
The Master of Science in Computer Science and Systems degree builds a solid fundation for advanced careers in computer science. The program objectives (goals) for the degree were defined after consultation with the programs’ constituents, consisting of faculty, students, advisory board members, external evaluators and peer program administrators.
Master of Science in Computing Science and Systems Program Objectives and Student Learning Outcomes
Based on the diverse student needs the goals of the program are that graduates will:
- Have the necessary skills and knowledge to independently conduct investigative work in selected sub-areas of computing/technology;
- Have a broad understanding of the technologies and theories supporting the architecture and construction of software systems;
- Be able to pursue successful careers or subsequent postgraduate studies while adapting to emerging technologies;
- Be able to analyze issues and synthesize solutions to computing-related problems;
- Be able to use their communication skills while working in team environments.
Programme StructureCourse Overview:
- The thesis option was designed for graduate students who are prepared and want to engage in a research project working with one or more Institute faculty members. This research often results in publication in journals or conference proceedings.
- If you select the thesis option, you will work with a faculty adviser to produce a thesis proposal. The proposal along with a Proposal to Enroll in MSCSS Capstone is submitted to the Graduate Committee for approval.
- After the Graduate Committee approves the proposal, you can register for TCSS 700. A total of 10 credits of TCSS 700 must be completed to meet the degree requirements. These credits are typically taken over two quarters. TCSS 700 is graded as "credit/no credit" so the grades do not count toward your grade-point average.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering Computer Sciences Software Engineering View 374 other Masters in Industrial & Systems Engineering in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- UW Graduate School Application
- Personal Statement
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
International35997 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35997 USD per year during 24 months.
National35997 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35997 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State20751 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20751 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Tacoma
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.