At Students at Film Music Composition from University of North Carolina School of the Arts you will learn about the post-production process on a film, how to collaborate with a filmmaking crew, how to spot where music should be placed, including how it should function to serve the film’s story, and how to effectively use instrumentation, style, motives, and rhythm to score a film.
Alumni of our graduate program in Film Music Composition have served as composers and assistant composers for television series like “Chicago Fire,” “Castle,” “Law & Order,” “Lie to Me,” “The Unit,” “Survivor,” “Nashville,” and “Under the Dome;” video games such as “Red Dead Redemption;” and major motion pictures such as “Man of Steel,” “Iron Man,” “Pirates of the Caribbean,” “Vantage Point” and “Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.”
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Film Music Composition Lessons
- Film Music Analysis: Historical Composers
- International Film
- American Film
- Electronic Technology
- Film Music Composition Seminar
- Scoring for Video Games
- Electronic Technology
- Film Music Theory
- Advanced Film Music Anal.: Contemporary Composers
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Music View 208 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
- Applicants should have completed an undergraduate degree or be scheduled for completion of a degree prior to the upcoming Fall semester.
- Minimum college GPA of 3.0
- Test Scores
- Letters of Recommendation
- Letter of Intent
- Video Essay
- Portfolio of three to five original compositions, preferably demonstrating an aptitude for storytelling and/or emotional representation in music as well as a proficiency in contrasting musical styles, to be submitted in the following digital formats: film clips with original score (mp4 preferred), live or MIDI audio recordings (mp3 preferred), and accompanying musical scores in PDF format.
- A copy of your current passport
- If you hold an F-1 Visa, submit a copy of your visa and Form I-20
- Complete a Certificate of Financial Responsibility
International23203 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23203 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National23203 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23203 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State9196 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9196 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.