At Drawing from New York Academy of Art through this engaged and intensive study, students explore the elements of design, composition, scale, proportion, gesture, light on form, value, tonal construction, and the practical application of anatomy and perspective through sustained investigations of the human figure from direct observation.
The Drawing Concentration at New York Academy of Art provides intensive challenges that expand upon drawing’s foundational principles through the exploration of the nature of drawing as a unique, progressive, and constantly evolving visual language that embraces both tradition and innovation. The subject of drawing is explored to expand upon the formal, narrative and conceptual potentials of the medium while encouraging students to realize their artistic vision and formulate their unique experiences and insights into compelling and articulate visual statements.
Drawing Concentration Core Outcomes
- ability to utlilize multi-figure compositions
- ability to draw at life-scale
- understanding of linear and arial perspective
- grasp of synthetic compositional and pictorial construction
- knowledge of historical and contemporary drawing approaches
- understanding of traditional, contemporary and experimental drawing media
- Figure Drawing I Intensive
- Artistic Anatomy I: Structural Anatomy
- Art & Culture Seminar I: 1860-1960 The Birth of Modernism and Its Aftermath
- History & Theory of Composition I
- Cast Drawing
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
Our admissions process is highly selective, and applicants are encouraged to apply early for inclusion in the incoming class.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Fine Arts View 865 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants to the MFA are expected to obtain proficiency in Art History prior to entering the program.
- For those with less than two semesters (less than two classes) of undergraduate level art history, we require a reading and writing assignment found here.
- This will help prepare you for entering the MFA program.
International42896 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 42896 USD per year during 24 months.
National42896 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 42896 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.