The Master of Arts in Mathematics at The City University of New York is offered for (a) students who may eventually work toward a doctorate in mathematics; (b) those who seek the M.A. as a terminal degree; (c) graduates of the M.A. Program for Secondary School Teachers of Mathematics seeking additional graduate mathematics credits and who wish the structure of a formal degree program and the credential of a pure mathematics master's degree; (d) qualified students who wish to take individual graduate mathematics courses.
The requirements for the M.A. Degree in Mathematics are as follows:
- A program of 30 credits of courses, chosen with the permission of the Graduate Adviser.
- At least 18 of the credits must be taken as a matriculated student at Lehman. Students considering going on to a mathematics doctorate are encouraged to take some of their final credits in the CUNY Graduate Center Ph.D. Program in Mathematics.
- A written comprehensive examination is required.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theory of Functions of a Real Variable
- Theory of Functions of a Complex Variable
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics View 208 other Masters in Applied Mathematics in United States
- Have a bachelor's degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrate the potential to successfully pursue graduate study by having attained a minimum undergraduate grade average of B in mathematics courses and a B- in the undergraduate record as a whole. Alternatively, graduation from the Lehman Teachers Master's in Mathematics program or an equivalent master's degree with a B cumulative average may replace undergraduate grade requirements.
- Have completed at least calculus through vector calculus, at least 3 credits in linear algebra, at least 3 credits in modern algebra and at least 3 credits in advanced calculus/analysis.
- Submit two letters of recommendation and a personal statement explaining your career plans.
- If conditionally admitted, satisfy the conditions within one year. This can include taking undergraduate courses to satisfy the admission criteria.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.