This location, like nowhere else, provides the student access to the changing ideas and forms of contemporary art and is crucial to the achievement of our educational goal: to develop professional artists capable of continued growth once they leave the relatively structured university environment.
The Studio Art program at The City University of New York offers six concentrations:
- Clay and Casting
- Combined Media (Installation, Performance and Video)
- Work on Paper, Drawing, Printmaking
The program is designed to offer broad training for artists in the development of critical and analytical visual thinking as it relates to their work. Over the course of three years, students work closely with faculty tutors to develop their own art individual work. Student work is then examined and tested in the context of contemporary practice during group critique, seminars and one-on-one visits with well-known artists, critics and curators.
Within the Art and Art History Department and Hunter Galleries, there are opportunities for hourly paid work available to students. Gallery attendants, studio monitors and studio maintenance workers are hired each semester as needed. Students who are interested in these and other possibilities should inquire at the Leubsdorf Gallery office, the Art Department office and at the MFA Building office.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Studio Elective
- Contemporary Art Seminar
- Teaching Assistantship
- Art History (pre-1800s)
- Art History (19-20th Century)
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History View 744 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- General application ($75.00 fee)
- A statement of purpose describing work, your goals, and how attending Hunter will help you achieve those goals.
- Transcripts from accredited undergraduate institution (if you are unsure of the accreditation of your institution please contact Graduate Admissions prior to submitting your application: www.hunter.cuny.edu/graduateadmissions)
- Two letters of recommendation from former instructors, preferably studio art faculty from your undergraduate institution.
- TOEFL/IELTS score (if applicable). Applicants whose native language is not English and who have taken all or part of their undergraduate education in a country where English is not the native language are required to submit scores on the TOEFL or IELTS.
International25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 36 months.
National25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 36 months.
In-State11090 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11090 USD per year during 36 months.
- Resident: $470 per credit
- Non-resident: $855 per credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.