The Creative Writing - Poetry program at The City University of New York offers single-discipline and inter-genre workshops, literature seminars, small-group reading tutorials, and one-on-one tutorials, which all emphasize relationships between eminent faculty members and students. Additionally, students have the opportunity to work on The Brooklyn Review and give public readings/performances in Brooklyn and Manhattan.
The program offers some fellowships as well as prizes and a winter writing residency at the Espy Foundation in Oysterville, Washington. Students may also teach undergraduate courses for the English Department.
Our graduates have had their work published widely and have won competitions sponsored by the Iowa Review, the Colorado Review, the Mississippi Review, and Zoetrope. They have been included in The Best New Young Poets anthology and The Best American Short Stories. Our playwrights have won Obies, started theater companies, and had their plays produced here and abroad.
- Poetry Workshop
- The Craft of Poetry
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature View 835 other Masters in Literature in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended (applicants who earned a bachelor's degree outside the United States need to submit a 'Course by Course International Transcript Evaluation.')
- Two letters of recommendation;
- A manuscript of original work in your intended genre (for fiction, about 30 pages; for poetry, about 20 pages; for playwriting, one full-length play, or two or more one-act plays); and a personal statement (one-two pages).
- I. F-1 or J-1 international students must submit English Proficiency Exam.
International15390 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 24 months.
National15390 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 24 months.
- Local students: $5,545 / semester
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.