This curriculum prepares Law School students for business, government, political, and nonprofit legal positions in organizations or institutions with a Latin American/Caribbean focus or presence. The program at University of Miami provides a solid theoretical framework and grounding in policy analysis, administration, and management.
This joint program allows students to obtain both J.D. and M.A. degrees in 3 or 3 1/2 years, less time than obtaining the degrees separately. The first year is spent in the Law School and years two, three and four (if needed) are spent taking both Law and M.A. courses.
Study in Miami at Miami
The Latin American Studies program is comprised of a major, a minor, the Fellows in Latin American Studies (FILAS) dual degree (BA/MA) honors program, and several Master of Arts degrees. Combined, these academic tracks give students unparalleled exposure and expertise in the history, cultures, languages, economics, politics, and societies of Latin America and the Caribbean.
Over two hundred members of the University of Miami's faculty across numerous colleges and schools work in or on Latin America and the Caribbean in every imaginable field of academic and policy inquiry, from the Fine Arts to Marine Science. This faculty brings incredible depth and breadth to the program and its students.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Students must complete 82 credits in the Law School and 6 credits will be double-counted from the M.A. courses to complete the total of 88 JD credits.
- In the College of Arts and Sciences, students must complete 21 credits in Latin American Studies courses, and 9 credits will be double-counted from the J.D. coursework to complete the total of 30 credits.
- Students will be required to complete a total of 103 credits for both degrees.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesAmerican Studies View 65 other Masters in American Studies in United States
- An $85.00 non-refundable application fee is paid online upon submission of the application.
- The statement of purpose is the most important element of your application packet.
- Applicants will be required to provide a copy of their CV/resume
- Three letters of recommendation must be provided.
- You must provided official transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended.
- A minimum overall undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- You will be asked to provide a copy of your passport.
- International students are required to submit a copy of all the diplomas or certificates earned.
- You will be required to provide a copy of your bank statement for the last six months.
International2100 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2100 USD per credit and a duration of 48 months.
National2100 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2100 USD per credit and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.