About this Degree
The Microbiology program from University of Tennessee Knoxville leading to the MS is designed to provide the student with broad basic knowledge, to permit the acquisition of technical competence in the fundamentals of research, and to encourage creative and independent thinking. Two to three years are usually needed for the course of study.
The Department of Microbiology at UT Knoxville is dedicated to providing the quality education, through both teaching and research, necessary to meet the needs of this growing field. Our faculty members aggressively pursue research in many areas of the science: immunology; virology; microbial ecology and pathology; microbial genetics; and others.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Complete graduate course requirements as determined by the department and the student’s faculty thesis research committeeMICR 500 (6 credit hours)
- One course in biochemistry, molecular biology or bioinformatics as approved by the student’s advisory committee
- One course in statistics (STAT or other identified course) as approved by the students advisory committee
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMicrobiology Biochemistry Genetics View 524 other Masters in Genetics in United States
Priority guidelines for selection for the program are as follows:
- Completed undergraduate program with a 3.0 or better GPA (on 4.0 system). Included should be:
- One full year of general biological science
- One year of calculus
- Two years of chemistry, including one year organic
- One year of physics
- Introductory microbiology course
- Submission of GRE scores is optional.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- For international students, satisfactory TOEFL or IELTS scores are required. For example, for the internet test, applicants with a minimum combined TOEFL score of 92, and a minimum score of 20 for each individual section will be given priority. For IELTS, a 6.5 overall band score is required.
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 24 months.
National31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.