About this Degree
Requirements for the M.S. degree are 30 semester hours, with courses in microbial genetics, virology, immunology, biochemistry and other related subjects. The doctoral student must present a dissertation after having completed at least 24 semester hours of dissertation research. In addition, the student must complete course work in the various areas of microbiology, biochemistry, and statistics. Each new graduate student meets with an advisory committee chaired by the Director of Graduate Studies, to plan a program of study for the first one or two semesters until a research advisor is selected.
All first-year students participate in a laboratory rotation program during the first semester of study. This program allows the student to adjust smoothly to the research programs of the department, to develop a background of research procedures and concepts, and to facilitate the selection of a research professor. Usually the student selects a research professor toward the end of the laboratory rotation period. The major professor assists in the selection of and carrying out of a suitable research program and in the naming of a thesis or dissertation committee. Microbiology is offered at University of Tennessee Knoxville.
- Complete graduate course requirements as determined by the department and the student’s faculty thesis research committeeMICR 500 (6 credit hours)
- One course in biochemistry, molecular biology or bioinformatics as approved by the student’s advisory committee
- One course in statistics (STAT or other identified course) as approved by the students advisory committee
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
Domestic applicants may apply up to two weeks prior to the beginning of the desired term of entry
DisciplinesMicrobiology Biochemistry Genetics View 277 other Masters in Microbiology in United States
- Students are expected to have completed an undergraduate program with a 3.00 or better GPA on a 4.00 system.
- Included in the undergraduate course credits should be
- a full year of general biological science; one year of calculus;
- two years of chemistry, including one year of organic;
- one year of physics; and
- an introductory course in microbiology.
- In many cases, deficiencies in requirements may be removed by taking appropriate courses during the first year of graduate study.
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 24 months.
National31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.