The Materials Science and Engineering major for the MS degree from University of Tennessee Knoxville is offered through two options:
MSE also offers two technical areas of concentration in the MS program: (1) nanomaterials; and (2) automotive materials.
Concentrations (Optional) and Options Available
- Nanomaterials — Thesis, Project
- Automotive Materials — Thesis, Project
- Thesis Option: Satisfactory performance on a comprehensive oral examination administered by the faculty committee; (2) Completion of a written MS thesis.
- Project Option: Any candidate may apply for a Project non-thesis option. Upon acceptance, a supervisory committee of three will be appointed. At least two members of the committee will be from the faculty in the major area. Students are not required to take a comprehensive exam as part of the degree requirements.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Maintainability Engineering
- Mathematical and Numerical Problem Solving Skills for Materials Scientists and Engineers
- Fundamentals of Plastic Deformation
- Laboratory Methods in Polymer Engineering
- Smart Materials and Structures
- Computational Plasticity and Micromechanics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Materials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 1601 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United States
- The materials science and engineering program is flexible and interdisciplinary in nature. Students may be admitted from a wide range of disciplines. These include physics, chemistry, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, materials engineering, nuclear engineering and engineering science programs.
- Applicants for admission to the MS program in materials science and engineering are expected to have completed a bachelor’s degree in an area of engineering or science with a grade-point-average of at least 2.7 out of 4.00 (or 3.0 during the senior year of undergraduate study).
- All applicants must submit scores from the general Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- After one year in residence and with the approval of the faculty, a student may proceed directly to the doctoral program without completion of a master’s degree.
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 12 months.
National31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.