About this Degree
We emphasize methods of historical research and approaches that transcend national boundaries and privilege a global approach. This History degree program at the University of Tennessee Knoxville offers two MA options—thesis and course only with comprehensive exam. For students continuing to the PhD program, the dissertation is required. For students who have no current plans to continue for the doctorate, we also offer a terminal MA. There is no foreign language requirement for the terminal MA.
Students select a major field to study from among United States, Premodern Europe, Modern Europe and Asia.
The MA program can typically be completed in two years. The Graduate School allows six calendar years to complete the degree, starting at the beginning of the semester of the first course counted toward the degree.
- 24 credit hours of graduate course work:Complete HIST 510 and a 600-level research seminar normally during the fall and spring semesters of the first year in the graduate program.
- As many as 9 related credit hours may be taken outside the department. Common subject areas include, but are not limited to, courses in MFLL and ANTH. Courses are chosen in consultation with the major advisor.
- As many as 9 graduate credit hours taken elsewhere may be applied toward the MA degree.
- Except by prior approval of the Director of Graduate Studies in History, a student’s course work must be at the 500-level or above.
- HIST 500 (6 credit hours)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
Domestic applicants may apply up to two weeks prior to the beginning of the desired term of entry
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 310 other Masters in Modern History in United States
- Successful completion of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution, preferably with a major in history.
- Acceptable scores on the Graduate Record Examination (general).
- Applicants must have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agency, recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEEA). A non-U.S. degree must be equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from the United States and must be granted by a recognized or accredited foreign institution.
- United States degree holders must have earned a minimum of 2.7 out of a possible 4.0 GPA or a minimum of 3.0 during the senior year of undergraduate study. If you have completed previous graduate coursework, you must have earned a minimum of 3.0 out of a possible 4.0 GPA.
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees must have earned a minimum of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or other equivalent to a ‘B’ average.
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 24 months.
National31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.