About this Degree
Many of our incoming German MA students from University of Tennessee Knoxville spend their first year studying in Germany and return to Knoxville for their second year to complete their Master's thesis or exams and to receive pedagogical training in the classroom. We offer tuition wavers and T.A. stipends.
Our German graduate faculty advises students in many fields, from Applied Linguistics, 18th and 19th Century Studies, to contemporary German, Jewish, Media, Cinema and Gender Studies. We welcome students who are interested in interdisciplinary studies, since we work closely with colleagues in History, Geography, Philosophy, Art, Judaic Studies, and Music – just to name a few. Applicants do not have to have a German BA to apply.
Our M.A. graduates pursue a wide range or careers. Some continue their academic careers and work towards a PhD at UT or at other institutions, others go into teaching, journalism, business, tourism, translation, etc.! recent Ph.D. graduated have secured positions at local and national universities or accepted academic positions in Germany.
- GERM 500 (6 credit hours)
- 24 credit hours on literature, culture, film or language taught in the German programOnly one of which may be chosen from GERM 411-GERM 412 or GERM 485.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
Domestic applicants may apply up to two weeks prior to the beginning of the desired term of entry
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 632 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
- A student should have already completed a major or the equivalent of a major (usually 30 hours) in their main discipline (French, German, or Spanish).
- Applicants must have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agency, recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEEA). A non-U.S. degree must be equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from the United States and must be granted by a recognized or accredited foreign institution.
- United States degree holders must have earned a minimum of 2.7 out of a possible 4.0 GPA or a minimum of 3.0 during the senior year of undergraduate study. If you have completed previous graduate coursework, you must have earned a minimum of 3.0 out of a possible 4.0 GPA.
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees must have earned a minimum of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or other equivalent to a ‘B’ average.
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
In-State13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.