About this Degree
The non-thesis option provides graduate students, including co-op and other off-campus students, the opportunity to focus their programs in special areas through extended course work.
Common requirements for both options include:
- Completion of BME core courses BME 503, BME 510, BME 511, and BME 521.
- Participation in BME graduate seminars and registration for BME 595 every semester it is offered.
- Completion of a Knowledge Breadth requirement (3 credit hours) for the BME Specialization Track chosen by the student, as specified in the BME Graduate Student Handbook.
- Completion of a Knowledge Depth requirement (3 – 6 credit hours) for the BME Specialization Track chosen by the student, as specified in the BME Graduate Student Handbook.
Requirements specific to the thesis-option MS are:
- At least 21 credit hours of course work (exclusive of thesis credits) beyond the baccalaureate in biomedical engineering and related areas. A minimum of 12 credit hours of these courses must be in the BME program.
- At least 9 credit hours of thesis research (500).
- Successful completion of a final examination consisting of a written thesis report and oral defense of the thesis.
Requirements specific to the non-thesis MS are:
- At least 30 credit hours of course work beyond the baccalaureate in biomedical engineering and related areas. A minimum of 18 credit hours of these courses must be in the BME program.
- Successful completion of a final examination consisting of a written report and oral defense on a topic to be chosen in consultation with the student’s MS committee.
Biomedical Engineering students from University of Tennessee Knoxville can pursue tracks that allow specialization in:
- Statistics/Statistics for Biological Research or Similar Course
- Biological Numerical Methods (MatLab)
- Continuum Mechanics
- Application of Linear Algebra in Engineering Systems
- Master’s Research and Thesis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biomedicine Biology View 342 other Masters in Biomedicine in United States
- Entrance into the graduate program in biomedical engineering is available to graduates of recognized curricula in engineering, mathematics, or one of the physical sciences who satisfy the necessary prerequisites.
- The names and addresses of three references must be included with the program application.
- The general GRE is required of all applicants for admission.
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
In-State13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.