The mission of the UAS Graduate Studies Program is to help students develop intellectual breadth and the specialized training necessary for careers in teaching, administration and public policy.
The problems facing Alaska and the Nation require both knowledge and new ways of using knowledge to meet current challenges. The graduate programs at UAS consist of discipline specific course sequences, seminars, independent studies, and research investigations differing significantly from the undergraduate experience.
The program focuses on the unique needs of
- children and youth with disabilities;
- Alaska’s diverse Native and non-Native communities; and
- Alaska’s remote and rural and urban communities.
The M.Ed. program in Special Education is designed to accommodate practicing teachers, paraprofessionals, and other school-based professionals. Courses are offered in the evenings and in the summer and all courses are offered online and/or via audio conference. This e-Learning format allows candidates who live and work in Alaska’s remote and rural communities to remain in their communities while completing their graduate studies.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Early Childhood Special Education
- Assessment of Students with Disabilities
- Curriculum and Strategies: Low Incidence
- Curriculum and Strategies: High Incidence
- Language & Literacy: Assessment & Intervention
- Transition Planning for Secondary Students
- Seminar: Special Education: Secondary
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Special Education View 3671 other Masters in Education in United States
- A completed graduate application and $60 nonrefundable application fee.
- An official transcript indicating baccalaureate degree
- Copy of current teaching certificate or admission to SOE teaching program.
- Two letters of recommendation on SOE form.
- Writing sample (1-2 page typed, double spaced for each topic). : Describe your professional goals and explain why you want to be a special education teacher and/or work with individuals with disabilities. ; Describe your commitment to diversity in school and classroom settings.
International34272 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17136 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National16776 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8388 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.