If you're a choral, instrumental or general music teacher, Northern's master of music education program’s online format is designed to fit into your busy life. It offers a flexible way to complete your advanced degree in two years while you retain your current job. You'll be stimulated, challenged and ready to move forward in the classroom and your career.
About the program
The Music Education program at Northern State University is practice-oriented and covers the essentials of research in music education, music theory, performance practices, conducting, pedagogy and music education management.
- Learn from recognized leaders: Courses are taught by experienced and highly qualified faculty with years of successful classroom experience
- Expand your knowledge, develop new skills and excel as a music educator with comprehensive instruction in choral, instrumental and general music
Northern is accredited at the undergraduate level by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), and has successfully achieved NASM Plan Approval accreditation status for its Master of Music Education degree.
- Music Theory Analysis for the Educator
- Jazz Pedagogy for the Educator
- Advanced Conducting and Performance Practice
- School of Music Administration
- Curriculum Writing
- Research in Music Education
- General Music Pedagogy
- Technology for Music Educators
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation Music View 1111 other Masters in Music in United States
- If you'd like to pursue a master's degree at Northern, please declare this intent when admitted to graduate study. The minimum grade point average for admission to a master's degree program is a cumulative 2.75 for bachelor's degree work.
International616 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 616 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National471 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 471 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
In-State329 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 329 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.