This interdisciplinary department offers courses and seminars that lead to MA and PhD degrees. It offers qualified students the opportunity to pursue an intensive course of study in the historical and philosophical dimensions of science.
We offer a master degree in History and Philosophy of Science at the University of Pittsburgh. Graduate training includes course work in history of science, philosophy, logic, and often in the sciences. It is possible to work out a program that leads to a master's degree in one of these fields, while pursuing the PhD degree in history and philosophy of science.
Graduate seminars are supplemented by a Colloquium in History and Philosophy of Science, by the visitors and activities of the Center for Philosophy of Science, and by the Archives of Scientific Philosophy (Carnap, De Finetti, Reichenbach, Ramsey). Students may also take courses offered by the Department of Philosophy at Carnegie Mellon University without paying additional tuition.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Special Topics in History of Science
- Thermodynamics & Statistical Mechanics
- Philosophy of Climate Science
- Philosophy of Psychiatry
- The Epistemology of Experimental Practice
- The mechanical philosophy of the 17th centur
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Philosophy & Ethics View 179 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form
- Application fee ($75)
- Transcripts of previous academic work
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of career objectives
- One sample of written work, PREPARED FOR ANONYMOUS REVIEW
- TOEFL or IELTS scores required for international applicants who are non-native English speakers unless you are a citizen of a country where the national language is English, or you have graduated from an accredited institution of higher education in the United States or from an institution where both the language of instruction is English and the official national language of the country in which the institution is located is English.
International39898 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 39898 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National39898 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 39898 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State23530 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23530 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.