The Exercise and Sport Science program at the Western State Colorado University repares students for careers in performance, academia, research or clinical practice, as well as for further study in the discipline. The High Altitude Exercise Physiology program aims to examine how the human body functions physiologically, both acutely and chronically, in extreme environments.
These include–but are not limited to–high altitude, heat, cold and low humidity. Students in this program will complete at least 36 total credits, including six thesis credits. The thesis will be a culminating research project, to be completed during the last semester of the two-year program.
- To enhance student understanding of human physiology – at rest and during exercise, in healthy and diseased populations – in extreme environments, including hyper- and hypobarometric conditions, heat, cold, pollution.
- To prepare students for original research under supervision of the ESS-HAEP faculty.
- To prepare students to share their research as presentations, publications or both.
- To prepare students for careers in academia, research or clinical practice, as well as for further study in the discipline.
- Research — HAEP Graduates will understand Exercise Science research methods and demonstrate the ability to recognize and employ various study designs. They will:
- Be adept at retrieving and analyzing information relevant to Exercise Science.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the background and principle research in their specialization.
- Demonstrate the ability to critically evaluate scientific literature and apply the scientific method to exercise sciences, by actively engaging in the research process with critical analysis and research.
- Demonstrate the ability to situate their own research within the broader context of the Exercise Science field.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Advanced Statistics
- Exercise Biochemistry
- Health Promotion
- Independent Study
- Practicum/ Internship
- Clinical Exercise Physiology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Western is on a rolling admission cycle.
DisciplinesHealth Sciences Coaching Sports Sciences View 1062 other Masters in Health Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- HAEP graduates will master oral and written skills to present and publish their research in peer-reviewed venues.
- HAEP graduates will be able to translate research into practice, developing evidence-based exercise prescriptions for individuals with performance goals – particularly those at risk, including special populations – who seek to perform in extreme environments, such as altitude, cold and stressful heat.
International12157 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12157 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National12157 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12157 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.