Computational linguists help machines process human language. All the pioneering language-based technologies in use today — search engines, predictive text messaging, speech recognition, machine translation and voice-user interfaces — rely on the work of computational linguists.
Place yourself at the forefront of this dynamic field by earning a Master of Science in Computational Linguistics at the University of Washington.
As the role of computers and technology grows ever larger in our daily lives, business and industry are increasingly seeking experts in the complicated nexus between humans and machines. Computational linguistics is an academic discipline that directly addresses this need, combining elements of linguistics, software engineering, artificial intelligence and electrical engineering. Professionals trained in this field help machines process human language and help linguists understand language through computer models.
Computational linguists apply their skills in the development of applications related to translation, voice recognition, automated text analysis, search engines and other pioneering technologies.
- Linguistic Phonetics
- Syntax for Computational Linguistics
- Shallow Processing Techniques for Natural Language Processing
- Deep Processing Techniques for Natural Language Processing
- Advanced Statistical Methods in Natural Language Processing
- Language Processing Systems & Applications
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesComputer Sciences Software Engineering Linguistics View 520 other Masters in Software Engineering in United States
- Hold the minimum equivalent of a four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S.1 or its equivalent from a foreign institution2 or a Bologna bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 180 European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) credits.
- All students confirming enrollment must provide an official (sealed) transcript and degree statement (with date of award & title of degree awarded) for verification to Graduate Enrollment Management Services (GEMS).
- Have earned at least a 3.0 grade-point-average (on a 4 point scale) from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S.1 or its equivalent from a foreign institution
International35781 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35781 USD per year during 12 months.
National35781 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35781 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State20535 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20535 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Seattle
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.