A Master of Design from University of Washington is currently considered a terminal degree in the field.
Our program stresses interdisciplinary work and research-driven design practice. Students develop individualized research agendas and courses of study that draw upon the University of Washington’s broad academic community. In recent years, MDes students have taken courses and participated in research projects with the College of Engineering, the Department of Biomedical Informatics, the Department of Psychology, the Department of Communication, the School of Nursing, and the Business School. Recent MDes theses have addressed such wide-ranging topics as healthcare, aviation, urban planning, and information visualization.
Most of our students have undergraduate training in a design-related field and several years of successful professional experience. We occasionally admit students from other disciplines who show exceptional design potential. For these students, we offer a three-year course of study that emphasizes mastery of core design skills while pursuing graduate-level study.
- Design Methods
- Fundamentals Of Typography
- Industrial Design Special Projects
- Materials And Manufacturin
- Interface Design
- Exhibition And Installation Design
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Liberal Arts Urban Planning View 720 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United States
- Hold the minimum equivalent of a four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S.1 or its equivalent from a foreign institution2 or a Bologna bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 180 European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) credits.
- All students confirming enrollment must provide an official (sealed) transcript and degree statement (with date of award & title of degree awarded) for verification to Graduate Enrollment Management Services (GEMS).
- Have earned at least a 3.0 grade-point-average (on a 4 point scale) from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S.1 or its equivalent from a foreign institution
International31530 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31530 USD per year during 24 months.
National31530 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31530 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State18057 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18057 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Seattle
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.