The Visual Development program of Academy of Art University provides professional development with advanced coursework in still life painting, figure drawing, character design, concept painting, layout design for animation, and other core skills of professional visual developers.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
- Demonstrate strong drawing and compositional skills
- Create value studies that demonstrate an understanding of lighting, composition, and space
Research and Critical Thinking
- Apply visual research to design solutions
- Apply color and design elements consistent with the overall look of the film
- Design elements to support the narrative
- Demonstrate continuity in visual storytelling
- Create visually compelling, professional-quality presentation materials
- Pitch ideas clearly and professionally
- Produce a cohesive portfolio tailored to reflect career goals.
Academy of Art University offers some of the best training and hands-on experience to help accelerate your career. We pride ourselves in doing an exceptional job preparing you to excel as a future visual development artist. Our degree programs are designed to equip aspiring artists and designers with a comprehensive toolbox of marketable skills that lead to success in the visual development industry.
The job of the art director is to oversee and unify the visual look of a project. You'll control the overall look of the project, and make creative decisions based on mood, style, and target audience.
As a character and creature designer, you'll help create the standard appearance for a character including poses and gestures.
Collaborate with creative and art directors to generate images that clarify their vision and create visual representations of the ideas that will be realized in films, animated movies, comics, and video games.
As a matte painter, you'll create paintings to be used in photography and special effects to combine disparate elements into a single final image.
Working with art directors and designers, production artists are responsible for creating assets across various marking initiates in keeping with the visual style of the product.
Using standard tools, a vector artist recreates images for high-resolution output for billboards, printing, and 3D modeling.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Figurative Concepts
- Color Theory
- History of Visual Development
- Head Drawing
- Clothed Figure Drawing
- Perspective for Characters & Environment
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 545 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- College transcripts must show the classes/subjects, grades, credits and number of hours completed for each class
- Applicants and sponsors must complete the Affidavit of Support Form
- An art portfolio in your chosen discipline is required with detailed descriptions for all international graduate school applicants
- An official bank letter (from student. family/parents/sponsor) must show a minimum balance of $42,000 USD or equivalent
- We do not require TOEFL or IELTS scores and do not have a minimum score requirement
- Photocopy of your valid passport
- Photocopy of your 1-20, 1-94, or other visa document
- If your transcripts are not in English. they must be translated and notarized
International1191 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1191 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National1137 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1137 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.