The Industrial Design program of Academy of Art University provides professional study within focused fields of physical design. In addition to classroom and collaborative coursework, each student develops a professional portfolio that will be used to launch a career in Industrial Design.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Research & Analysis
- Clearly define the problem/opportunity, hypothesis, main objectives, and product requirements in their project brief
- Conduct adequate research and communicate findings using appropriate supporting materials
- Produce work that demonstrates proficiency in branding, graphics, drawing, rendering, 3D modeling, and model making
- Use innovative processes and design methodologies to develop conceptually strong projects (including brainstorming, mapping, sketches, and synthesis/testing of many ideas)
- Explore materials, color, form, manufacturing, ergonomics/human factors, and sustainability
- Incorporate understanding of costs, bill of materials, and specifications into design planning process
- Produce a cohesive portfolio tailored to reflect career goals.
Academy of Art University offers some of the best training and hands-on experience to help accelerate your industrial design career. We pride ourselves in doing an exceptional job preparing you to excel in your future profession. Our degree programs are designed to equip aspiring artists and designers with a comprehensive toolbox of marketable skills that lead to professional success in the industry.
Sketch tangible examples of what the future might hold to develop detailed 3D physical clay models based on the design direction and physical properties of an object such as a vase, car, or even a ship.
Create a digital 3D model based on design direction as a digital modeler. You'll take 2D and visual concepts and bring them to life in 3D software to help visualize the final transportation and product design piece.
Work for designer labels, sportswear or specialist footwear companies. Produce mood-boards and design sketches to develop ideas. Create the patterns which are made into shoes.
Create initial designs for the senior design team as a junior designer in a design studio. You'll be responsible for professional concept mockups, study models, and sketches.
Design most things we use in our day-to-day lives, from cutlery to clocks and computers, as well as specialist products like medical, electronics or telecommunications equipment. Improve the way that existing products work and look and/or produce them at a lower cost.
Research the preferences of particular age groups. Create sketches and prototypes to produce products that are attractive and functional. Ensure that products are appropriate and safe for specific age groups.
Create designs for vehicles and transportation related products. Areas of specialty include automotive concept design, public transportation, and automobile and aircraft interiors. Must have a strong background in design and significant knowledge of computer software and computer-aided design programs.
Develop scenario-based digital and physical user interaction designs. Craft every touch point in a digital or physical product to ensure brand consistency and emotional appeal.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Industrial Design Processes
- Industrial Design Drawing 1: Perspective
- Model Making
- Design Project
- Industrial Design Drawing
- Introduction to Digital 3D Modeling
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesIndustrial Design View 56 other Masters in Industrial Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- College transcripts must show the classes/subjects, grades, credits and number of hours completed for each class
- Applicants and sponsors must complete the Affidavit of Support Form
- An art portfolio in your chosen discipline is required with detailed descriptions for all international graduate school applicants
- An official bank letter (from student. family/parents/sponsor) must show a minimum balance of $42,000 USD or equivalent
- We do not require TOEFL or IELTS scores and do not have a minimum score requirement
- Photocopy of your valid passport
- Photocopy of your 1-20, 1-94, or other visa document
- If your transcripts are not in English. they must be translated and notarized
International1191 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1191 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National1137 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1137 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.