The MA in Costume Design prepares students to join the next generation of artisans and designers with key technical skills and opportunities to practice their craft in active production environments. By combining a rigorous sewing program with industry specific design courses, the students in the Costume Design program of Academy of Art University will be prepared to work in any number of positions in either theatre or film. Students will have opportunities to design theatrical productions, collaborating with the director, fellow designers and the actors to create costumes that support the needs of the production. Finally, each student will graduate with a portfolio that showcases the range of their talents in design and construction of garments and specialty items like jewelry and millinery work.
Program Learning Outcomes
Costume Design Skills:
- Conduct research to develop creative concepts and build a visual story
- Demonstrate a consistent level of design quality from pre-production through the shooting of the film.
- Conduct specific research based on a given script that shows a clear understanding of the costume needs for the story.
- Design costumes that support the needs of the story and characters.
- Communicate design ideas 2-dimensionally using traditional and/or digital media.
- Develop a 2D design concept into fully realized 3D costumes for a produced film.
- Apply advanced 3D design techniques to create clothing to a professional standard.
- Produce a cohesive portfolio tailored to reflect career goals.
Academy of Art University offers some of the best training and hands-on experience to help accelerate your career. We pride ourselves in doing an exceptional job preparing you to excel in your future fashion careers. Our degree programs are designed to equip aspiring fashion professionals with a comprehensive toolbox of marketable skills that lead to success in the fashion industry.
Based on your conceptual vision, your grasp of fashion direction, and your ability to anticipate designs that will appeal to consumers, you will transform your fashion inspirations into original collections of clothing. Sketch, select colors and fabrics, and give direction to make the products you design.
Oversee trends, color, and fabric direction for upcoming seasons across all product lines as a design director for a fashion label. You will manage design teams, oversee manufacturing and marketing, and set the direction for a brand voice to create the future of fashion.
Responsible for overseeing, planning, and directing all editorial content, the executive editor is the voice of any fashion publication. You will develop budgets, manage staff and contractors, oversee quality control, and innovate in the print and digital spaces in this fast-paced industry.
Supervise the process of creating, developing, and presenting content for a fashion magazine as a fashion editor. You will supervise teams, conceptualize and style photo shoots, curate photography, research industry trends, and choose items for publication in this fast-paced and exciting career.
Turn a designer’s vision into a finished garment as a patternmaker. You will break down garment designs into workable patterns, transfer them onto fabric, and create the design blueprints for manufacturing.
As a fashion stylist, you will provide on-set art direction for editorial and catalog fashion shoots and support merchandising strategy with brand and theme-based shoots
You will create ideas for a range of products including sweaters, cardigans, knit jackets and coats, knit dresses, and knit accessories. A wide variety of environments will be open to you - from retail brands, to boutiques, to freelancing and will work with apparel manufacturers to create men's, women's, and children's fashions for the mass market.
You will research, draw, and design seasonal prints for fashion, interiors and other surfaces using both hand-drawing and computer skills. Design repeat patterns and graphic prints for the home and apparel. Create and inspire the next wave of textile designs.
Visual Merchandising Director
As a visual merchandising director, you will help promote the image, products, and services of retail and wholesale businesses. You’ll create eye-catching displays using visual and graphic elements, and organize brand-related special events.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Fashion Drawing
- Fashion Construction
- Costume Design
- 3D Design
- Costume Design
- History of 20th Century Fashion Arts
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesFashion, Textiles and Luxury Goods Fashion Design View 50 other Masters in Fashion, Textiles and Luxury Goods in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- College transcripts must show the classes/subjects, grades, credits and number of hours completed for each class
- Applicants and sponsors must complete the Affidavit of Support Form
- An art portfolio in your chosen discipline is required with detailed descriptions for all international graduate school applicants
- An official bank letter (from student. family/parents/sponsor) must show a minimum balance of $42,000 USD or equivalent
- We do not require TOEFL or IELTS scores and do not have a minimum score requirement
- Photocopy of your valid passport
- Photocopy of your 1-20, 1-94, or other visa document
- If your transcripts are not in English. they must be translated and notarized
International1191 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1191 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National1137 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1137 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.