The Art History program of Academy of Art University is designed to give students an advanced understanding of western art history. The program offers specializations in ancient art, medieval art, renaissance art, baroque art, 18th and 19th century art, and pre-war modern art.
The art historical curriculum is paired with six credits of fine art studio classes, which allow our students to become familiar with traditional methods of fine art production including painting, printmaking, and sculpture. This marriage of art history and fine art studies offers a perspective through which art and its historical trajectory can be uniquely evaluated and appreciated.
Students will complete their degree by writing an M.A. thesis, with the support and advisement of an Art History faculty member. The thesis will be written in the student's chosen area of art historical specialization demonstrating independent scholarly research, and highlighting their joint understanding of art and its creative process.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Art Historical Knowledge
- Demonstrate advanced specialized knowledge of a specific period or field of art history, including the creative process and related intellectual issues, through a final written thesis.
Research and Analysis
- Research and persuasively analyze/argue an art historical issue and/or theoretical position
- Apply theoretical and methodological approaches to the interpretation of Western art and architecture.
- Conduct independent scholarly research, highlighting a joint understanding of art historical issues and the creative process through a written thesis in the student's chosen area of specialization.
- Clearly express their ideas through scholarly writing and researched presentations.
- Demonstrate reading proficiency in at least one Western European language.
- Apply acquired specialized as well as broader art historical knowledge and research skills in a variety of contexts (scholarly, educational, curatorial, connoisseurial).
Academy of Art University offers some of the best training and guidance to help students accelerate towards their chosen art history careers. We pride ourselves in doing an exceptional job preparing you to excel as a professional art historian. Our degree programs are designed to give graduates a comprehensive toolbox of marketable skills that lead to success in the field.
As an art appraiser, you'll work in an auction house appraising a variant of art pieces to help collectors and galleries grow their collections. With your knowledge of historical and artistic significance, you'l set the pace for the art world and its value in the cultural landscape.
As a corporate art consultant, you'll work with private corporations as an art buyer, assessor, and art investor to assess potential additions to the collection. Understanding works of art as both a financial investment and as part of a growing collection, you'll create a portfolio of art that speaks to a specific message.
As a museum or gallery curator, you'll work as the content specialist in charge of the institution's collection. Interpret the material, organize its exhibition , and provide historical context through materials, catalogs, and labels.
As an art history teacher, you'll teach a variant of topics including everything from survey courses to focused seminars at the high school or university level.
As an art researcher, you'll work in a publishing house, museum, gallery, or institution studying and compiling information on a specific subject to be used in publications, presentations, or exhibitions.
As an art writer/reviewer, you'll work in a publishing house reading and reviewing art-related materials. Working in teams, you'll fact check, revise, and edit everything from articles to books.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Art History Methodologies & Theory
- Classical Aesthetics and the Renaissance
- The Art & Ideology of the 20th Century
- Egyptian Art & Archaeology - To the Death of Cleopatra VII
- Medieval Art: From Carolingian to Gothic
- Crossing Borders: Art & Culture in a Global Society
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesArt History View 230 other Masters in Art History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- College transcripts must show the classes/subjects, grades, credits and number of hours completed for each class
- Applicants and sponsors must complete the Affidavit of Support Form
- An art portfolio in your chosen discipline is required with detailed descriptions for all international graduate school applicants
- An official bank letter (from student. family/parents/sponsor) must show a minimum balance of $42,000 USD or equivalent
- We do not require TOEFL or IELTS scores and do not have a minimum score requirement
- Photocopy of your valid passport
- Photocopy of your 1-20, 1-94, or other visa document
- If your transcripts are not in English. they must be translated and notarized
International1191 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1191 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National1137 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1137 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.