In their first year of the curriculum, graduate students are required to take a full schedule of foundation classes including technical and production workshops as well as classes in history, theory and criticism.
- Students in the Film and Video program at California Institute of the Arts CalArts are expected to meet regularly with appropriate faculty as they begin to produce work. In their third semester, graduate students must propose and gain approval for their thesis project at a Preliminary Thesis Review.
- This provides the next year and a half for the production and completion of their thesis film, video or installation.
- In addition to CalArts' rich and diverse community and naturally collaborative atmosphere, the Institute provides several programs of study that can be pursued concurrently with a student's chosen metier.
- The Integrated Media concentration is designed specifically for MFA students whose creative use of technology—in particular digital media—goes beyond their primary areas of study.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 328 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Credentials, diplomas and certificates of secondary-school and college-level work must be presented in English translation. International students applying to MFA programs must submit evidence of receipt of an undergraduate degree or its equivalent.
- The records must clearly state the date of completion (or the anticipated date of completion) and the level of education received with notations as to the number of hours attended per week and the total number of weeks completed.
- Scan and upload copies of transcripts for all institutions attended. In the online application, you will be prompted to upload a PDF of your scanned documents. Please upload both the front and back sides of the transcript, even if the back side is blank.
International52850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 52850 USD per year during 36 months.
National52850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 52850 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for California
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.