- Coursework builds on the baccalaureate degree in nursing and is based on theory and research in nursing and related disciplines. The program provides the foundation for continued professional development and for doctoral study. Students are prepared to provide leadership and to initiate collaborative relationships with others for the purposes of improving nursing and health care and influencing health policy. Master's students in nursing gain skill and knowledge that builds on their clinical experience and generalist undergraduate preparation and extends their clinical expertise in working with individuals, families, and high risk populations. Master's students gain skills in clinical decision making and differential diagnosis; in case management and consultation; in client/patient teaching; in assessments and interventions; and in program design, implementation, and evaluation.
- The Nursing - Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) program at University of Southern Maine prepares an advanced practice nurse with skills in therapeutic interventions and introduces medication management with individuals, families, and groups across the lifespan. Graduates who complete this program are eligible to sit for national certification as a psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner (across the lifespan).
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Advanced Pathophysiology
- Advanced Pharmacotherapeutics
- Advanced Health Assessment
- Nursing Theory and Knowledge Development
- Nursing Research
- Leadership, Health Policy, and Role
- Graduate Clinical Project
- Continuing Advanced Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing Supervision
- Foundations of Advanced Practice Mental Health Nursing
- Advanced Psychopharmacology
- Advanced Practice Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesNursing Health Sciences View 2438 other Masters in Health Sciences in United States
- A baccalaureate degree with a major in nursing from a degree program accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education or the National League for Nursing
- A minimum undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, or a B average
- Students with a GPA less than 3.0 may submit GRE/MAT scores to be considered.
- An undergraduate course in Microbiology with a grade of B- or better
- An undergraduate course in introductory statistics that includes descriptive and inferential statistics completed with a grade of B- or higher
- An undergraduate course in total health assessment
- Submission of official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS scores in addition to GRE scores (if English is not first language)
- Current resumé or CV
International31429 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1186 USD per credit during 24 months.
National31429 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1186 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State11448 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 432 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Gorham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.