Through the Montessori Early Childhood Education program at University of Southern Maine, students complete all requirements for the American Montessori Society (AMS) and the Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE) early childhood (ages 2.5-6) teacher certification and for (081) birth-5 teacher certification with the Maine Department of Education. The coursework also allows students who complete an internship in grades kindergarten through grade 3 to apply for (029) Early Elementary Endorsement K-3.
The program is offered in collaboration with the Maine Montessori Institute located at Winfield Children’s House in Falmouth, Maine. Winfield Children’s House is an AMS accredited early childhood program serving children ages 12 months-age 6.
The Maine Montessori Institute is a full affiliate training site of the American Montessori Society and is a MACTE accredited teacher training center. Students learn the practice of teaching through a year-long internship and explore the theoretical and research-based principles of the Montessori method and materials design by Dr. Maria Montessori.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Courses included:
- Practical Applications of the Montessori Method for Students with Exceptionalities
- Classroom Leadership and Environmental Design in an Early Childhood Montessori Classroom
- Montessori Principles and Philosophy
- Child Development, Family and Community
- Practical Life in the Early Childhood Montessori Classroom
- Sensorial in the Early Childhood Montessori Classroom
- Early Childhood Assessment and Observation
- Language Arts in the Early Childhood Montessori Classroom
- Mathematics in the Early Childhood Montessori Classroom
- Cultural Subjects -Science in the Early Childhood Montessori Classroom
- Early Childhood Practicum
- Early Childhood Internship
- Research Methods and Techniques
- Inquiry in Education
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Summer 2023/2026 semester entry - Priority Application deadline Jan 31, 2023. Rolling if space available.
DisciplinesEducation Early Childhood Education View 355 other Masters in Early Childhood Education in United States
- Online Application
- Application fee:
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended,
- International College transcripts: In addition to an official copy of the transcript, an official evaluation of college-level transcripts from a NACES approved transcript analysis agency is required
- Resume: Submit a resume or CV that outlines professional, volunteer, and community experience.
- Essay: Candidates should provide an integrated essay of approximately 1,000 words that includes:
- Recommendations: Two letters of recommendation attesting to the applicant's knowledge
- Formal Interview: Candidates to be interviewed will be selected on the basis of the above information.
International739 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 739 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National281 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 281 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Credit per hour.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.