In order to earn a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing, candidates must:
- Complete 42 hours of course work plus 6 hours of Thesis Research (ENGL 8000)
- Write a Creative Thesis and pass a Final Examination (oral thesis defense)
Nearly all students complete the program in three years.
The MFA program combines careful supervision of students’ work with extensive literary study. The close link between our MA, PhD, and MFA programs provides a unique opportunity to learn creatively and critically together. Students in all three programs do almost all their course work in small graduate seminars or workshop classes.
Our MFA program in Creative Writing is one of the best in the country. The PhD program is also rated well by both the National Research Council and US News and World Report. Louisiana State University is a Comprehensive Doctoral university in the Carnegie rating system (what used to be called a “Research One” university) and a top-tier university according to the US News and World Report.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Readings in Diverse Perspectives
- Survey of Women and Literature
- Literary Nonfiction
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing Literature View 908 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- a minimum 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) grade-point average (GPA) for all undergraduate work taken prior to receiving a degree and a minimum 3.0 GPA for all previous graduate work for which a grade is given;
- satisfactory academic standing at the last institution attended
- acceptable scores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE); and
- acceptance into a departmental program
International29456 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 29456 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
National29456 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 29456 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
In-State12541 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12541 USD per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.